Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Why Little Birds Have Heart Attacks

Cooper's Hawk, up close and personal

The familiar and unwanted thud of a bird hitting our picture window caused me to glance up. When this happens I usually walk over to the window, look at the ground and try to guess the specimen we’ll next be donating to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.
Before I got out of my chair, however, I saw the cause of the window strike. A Cooper’s Hawk had scattered the feeder birds, one of which hit the window and dropped into the hedges, thinking it was flying to a safe haven. The hawk opted to land on a nearby branch and contemplate the vagaries of life, I suppose. He seemed in no hurry to leave in search of lunch elsewhere.



I watched as he watched, trying to see what he saw. I detected movement in the hedges about the same time he did. He launched from his perch directly at me. Granted, I outweigh this guy by about 168 pounds and more than four feet in height, plus I was well ensconced behind a couple layers of glass, yet I still jumped.
He landed atop the feeder array, and stared straight at me. Thinking what? I wondered what might a Dark-eyed Junco or House Sparrow feel as those talons and beak approach at lightning speed.
Welcome to the natural world.


And your problem is?

No comments: