Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Learned Behavior

Tufted Titmouse on the job

Nothing like a bit of snow to bring the birds flocking to the feeders here in northeast Ohio. The Lake Erie Snow Machine is giving us a show of what winter is supposed to be, not what’s it’s been.
This morning, as I glanced in the direction of the feeders between other tasks, I kept thinking I needed to refill one or two of them to see if we could attract a Red-breasted Nuthatch or maybe some Pine Siskins. I was reluctant, however, to go out in the horizontal snow storm to do so. They’d get by without my help. In fact, I’ve read various reports on how much birds depend on us humans for food in winter months and the number seems to be someplace between 10 percent and 20 percent.


White-breasted Nuthatch gets by with a little help from his friends

Then came the not-so-gentle tap on the window.
We have a Tufted Titmouse that visits regularly. He (or she) has taken it upon himself to be the conscience of the neighborhood, making sure the feeders are full and the water right up to the edge of the bird bath.
His way of signaling the need for replenishment is to sit on the windowsill edge at the top of our picture window and tap on the glass, not always lightly, until he gets our attention. This 6.5-inch, 0.75-ounce ball of fluff can hammer loud enough to call me up from the family room in the basement. He goes through a series of gyrations until I get the message.
Lesson learned.


Hang on guys, he's putting on his coat

No comments: