Monday, September 10, 2012

Photo Op







Anna's, Rufous and an immature Anna's Hummingbirds

 The area around Santa Barbara, California, is rich in history—as well as 475 species of birds. I was doing a bit of reading about the original people to settle here, the Chumash Indians. In their native tongue, the words Santa Barbara mean, Photo Op. Honest. I ain’t lying.
Not only is life out here good; it’s simple: Eat, sleep, bird. What’s not to like?
This morning Susan and I went to one of our favorite spots, Ellwood Mesa, in Goleta, where we usually get to see grassland species. On our way up to the mesa, a house that borders the trail had several hummingbird feeders hanging from its eves. As we were peering through the back gate, the home owners came along and invited us in. Gilbert was a gracious host, telling us all about his feeder array as we sorted out the various species. He had the usual ya-shoulda-been-here-last-week story about a Black-chinned Hummingbird that put in an appearance.
As a photographer I thought I’d died and gone to heaven, not the anticipated direction, when I watched the light shift a bit and the glass doors behind the feeders went black. You can’t get that in nature. I slobbered so much on my Nikon I was afraid I’d have to take it in to the shop for cleaning.
Anyway, It was a morning filled with birds we’d like to share with you. Enjoy.






An uncommon Pacific (Black) Merlin


A mouse-eye view of a White-tailed Kite, AKA Black-shouldered Kite




Aren't those Brown Pelicans getting a bit close?


An unseen traffic controller at the feeders helps.



No comments: