Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Surprise, Surprise!


A quite uncommon-in-March Common Redpoll

If nothing else, birding provides a never-ending supply of surprises. As we anticipate and chase spring birds at this time of the year, you can imagine my shock (while on the way to the coffee pot for a refill) this morning when I glanced at the feeder and saw two prime Arctic winter birds.
I could hardly believe my eyes. There sat two (count ‘em, two!) Common Redpolls. This is a species that shows up in our area on rare occasions in the depths of winter. Only once in more than 11 years at this address have we had redpolls.
After losing a brief wrestling match with Susan over the “table” binoculars, I ran for the camera. Fortunately the birds sat still long enough for a portrait shot, then were off.
Where did they come from and where were they going? The latter is easier to answer: The far reaches of Canada, totally unconcerned about the brief thrills they provided.

No comments: