Friday, May 20, 2011

Childhood Memory

Early this morning I caught myself channeling my great grandfather, Ed Court, whose name, in-part, I carry, and who could be celebrating his 134th birthday this year, had he lived.
Friday is trash day in our neighborhood. I went to retrieve the trash can (Is it still a can when made of plastic?) and decided to hose the thing out— just as I remember Grandpa Court doing some 60-plus years ago.
Since all things, real and imagined, are attached, the trash can memory brought back other memories of great grandpa: always spitting chewing tobacco on his worm when baiting a fishhook, using turpentine to cure all external cuts and bruises, plus his staunch Republican politics.
These things I can remember, yet am challenged to find my car keys …

1 comment:

RichC said...

Hmm ... turpentine to cure staunch Republican politics? Interesting ... or perhaps a Freudian misread. ;-)

Your fondness regarding memories of your grandfather have triggered the same in me. Thanks.