Friday, April 01, 2011

Ignore Reality, Find Deeper Truth



Wilson's Snipe

It was a dark and stormy night. I well remember my first snipe hunt. I was maybe a dozen years into my first-remembered incarnation, enjoying my first camping adventure as a Boy Scout, filled with the knowledge that I knew everything important enough to matter.
It was our first night in camp. One of the older scouts suggested a snipe hunt. It sounded like fun, dangerous, rewarding—all the things youth looks for in life.
Of course, we had to wait until it got dark. And it gets really dark in the woods. Dark enough to give one second thoughts about crawling around on the ground, armed with stealth, a paper bag and a multi-bladed knife.
The older guys dropped we fearless hunters at various posts around the perimeter of the camp’s parade ground. We were to keep hunting until we heard the “all clear” whistle, then run onto the parade ground with our sack filled with snipes.
The fact that we were never told how one actually captures and subdues these creatures, nor even how large they might be, didn’t seem to occur to us at the time.
If you ever want to know how long forever really is, I suggest you grab a paper bag, head out into the dark of night on your hands and knees, wait and hope for someone to blow a whistle that never happens.
Eventually you figure it out.
In my current incarnation as a birder I’ve learned the truth about snipe, Wilson’s Snipe in particular. While birding in the Big Island Wildlife Management Area (Marion County, Ohio) yesterday, Susan and I happened upon a nice flock of snipe making use of a puddle left behind by Ohio’s recent rains. As I watched them, I figured out the reason we young scouts were unable to catch any on that dark and stormy night more than a half century ago. I think the older guys dropped us in the wrong habitat.



Wilson’s Snipe Big Island Wildlife Management Area

1 comment:

RichC said...

I too remember the snipe hunt as an 11 year old Tenderfoot. I suspected the creature was nearly extinct (common concern in the 60s). The scouts I knew never "bagged" any of these illusive creatures and figured with so few taken, they must have repopulated quite well. Hmm, that must be the reason you were able to photograph them? ;-)

The hunt certainly was an interesting long standing tradition for Scouts, one that in today's politically correct society it might be seen as a form of hazing. Hmm, come to think about it, in today's PC environment the "Boy" of Boy Scouts might become extinct before the snipe ever does.