Thursday, October 08, 2009

A Picture is Worth …




What’s a picture worth? I made the above photo a few days ago, just as I finished preparations for an eight-day wilderness backpacking trip. As happens, the packing ended in the living room. The 37-pound blue hulk would stay there until I loaded it into my car and headed south to meet up with my hiking partner. His actions mirrored mine. Except, he was heading north from Birmingham. In four days we’d meet near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. So this is a happy picture, filled with anticipation.
Then came Friday and my right knee, swollen to the size of a Halloween pumpkin. Apparently, two months of rigorous training had taken its toll. By Monday I could barely walk. The doc (and my wife, previously) said it was bursitis. To which I said, bursitis is for old people. To which both said …
Well, let’s forget what they said. Actually, I got a lot of sympathy and concern from Susan and from the doc. They probably sensed I was in the foulest mood I’ve been in for a long time. Being what I am, I did all the research on this bursitis thing, and am not happy with what I learned. That was after the doc had used a needle and syringe the size of a caulking gun to drain my swollen knee.
Now I’m hobbling around, running through all of the clichés I can think of: It’s not the end of the world; the Trail will be there when you’re ready; there are many people in worse shape …
So, the happy picture has turned into a sad picture. A picture of what might have been. I’ll look at it again, in a couple weeks, and maybe find it to be a happy picture once more.
And, the biggest pain in the butt (since nobody asked) is that I can’t retreat to the woods for solace as I normally do when life throws one of these curve balls at me.
Stay tuned.

3 comments:

waldo451 said...

This development is a major bummer. However, there is at least one bright note, granted you'll have to dig a bit for it, but there is always this:
At least some bugger hasn't called and told you your retirement is canceled and you have to show up for work at 8 sharp on Friday for staff meeting. It ain't much, but it's all I got at the moment.
Slacker

Kate said...

At least it didn't happen when you were hiking. Sorry, Clyde. Hope it heals well and soon. Kate

Michele Tucker said...

At least you had the strength to haul the backpack to the living room and the gumption to think you could do it for a week. More the power to you Clyde. I know some people a lot younger who couldn't do the same. I won't mention any by names.